Thursday, April 10, 2014

Persuasive Principle #7: Law of Association



            As defined by Kurt W. Mortensen, author of Maximum Influence, “The Law of Association defines the mental triggers and anchors that will generate the right feelings, emotions, and thoughts to create a persuasive environment” (Mortensen 124). In other words, the Law of Association means that the more you are able to trigger positive emotions and feelings, the more successful you will be in creating a persuasive environment. Although I don’t use this law on a regular basis, I find myself using it on certain occasions in my life. I use it because it is an easy way to persuade people to do what you want them to do. Stimuli like smells, music, and symbols are powerful stimuli in evoking memories and triggering feelings in our minds (Mortensen 125-126). When you are able to trigger positive feelings through these stimuli, more often than not, people want to fulfill their need to experience those feelings again. If your solution allows the person to fulfill that need, the more persuasive you will be. It has been especially effective for me when I want to persuade my mother or sister, since they are the only ones I really use this law on. I love going to the movies, but sometimes my mom or sister don’t want to go; apparently they don’t share the same passion for cinema as me. In order to get them to go I will remind them of the smell of the popcorn, the sight of the giant screen, the feeling of sinking into one of their specialized chairs designed for maximum comfort, and the taste of the candy they love to eat. Most of their memories and feelings about the movies are positive, so after triggering said memories and emotions, we end up going to the movies. My goal is to learn how to use this law on other people that I don’t know, or have never met before. I feel like it would be hard to use the Law of Association on someone successfully if you have never met them before because you don’t know what triggers their positive emotions or memories. It would be a great tool to learn how to utilize this law on both people I’m familiar with and people who are strangers to me.
            My first example of the Law of Association in action is when I encounter products that are the color black. Black is one of my favorite colors and I have nothing but positive associations with it. One of the reasons for this is because I am a big super hero fan, whether it pertains to movies, comics, or video games.
The majority of my favorite characters wear the color black, and most of those characters are super villains. Whenever I see a product that is black I have to stop and consider if I should buy it or not, such as a blanket, a watch, socks, shoes, sunglasses, hats, and so on. When I see black products I always find myself reminiscing about the great times I had watching and reading about my favorite characters in super hero movies and comics that the wear the black which resembles evil. If a store is selling a product (small items, not cars or appliances) that is black they are bound to persuade me because I have the urge to buy it so I can experience those positive feelings and emotions as much as possible; I can maximize such experiences by buying the product. My positive associations with the color black explains why I prefer the night sky, why I have a black cat, why seventy-five percent of my wardrobe has some black in it, and why the background for this blog is black.
            An example of where the Law of Association is not so successful in persuading me is whenever I’m at a clothing store. I have very negative associations with clothing stores because when I was a child my mother always dragged me around everywhere she went, with the worst places being clothing stores. She would look around the store and shop for hours on end; we would arrive at ten in the morning and leave at one in the afternoon. My sister wasn’t born at the time so I was all by myself with my mom as she forced me against my will to shop at clothing stores with her. I disliked those clothing stores with an absolute passion and I still do to this day because of those experiences I had as a child. When I walk into a clothing store now the smell of fabrics, the sight of the endless sea of clothes, the bright lights, and the changing rooms put me in a sour mood because it reminds me of the negative experiences I had as a child. Just thinking about it right now, as I’m writing this blog, is making me quite uncomfortable. As you can probably guess clothing stores are extremely ineffective and unsuccessful in any attempt they have at persuading me. A given store could offer a “buy one get two free” sale and I still wouldn’t be interested because I have such a predetermined negative view about everything that clothing stores are. In all honesty, there is nothing that clothing stores could change or do to make me want to buy more clothes than necessary because the negative emotions and memories I associate with them will never change.

            Some of the fondest memories I have of my childhood involve the many times my dad and I went fishing. I cannot recall one bad time that I had as a child when I was holding a fishing pole in my hand. Every time my dad asked me if I wanted to go fishing I got butterflies in my stomach because I knew great times would surely ensue. I can still remember the smell of the baits, the sound of the line as I casted out, and the feeling of a fish biting my line. But before we could go fishing my dad and I always had to stop by the bait
store. As soon as we walked through the doors of that store a smell of everything that was fishing met my nostrils. It was like they took all of the baits and the fish and mixed them into the perfect smell that represented what fishing was. The experience was even better because the place they kept their bait gave off a sound that was identical to that of my dad’s live well (the container in the boat where you keep the fish). Those smells and sounds put my dad and I in such a great mood, which led us to always buy more than what we really needed. Every time we went to that store we couldn’t help but purchase something that we didn’t need. That store was so successful in persuading us because we probably spent more money there than any of their other customers. It got to a point where we had to verbally promise ourselves and each other to not buy anything more than what we needed before we walked into the store, but our efforts were futile. I’m sure that if we walked into that store today we would probably buy something that we don’t need because of the way it triggers our positive emotions and memories about fishing through their smells and sounds.
            Since my last blog review I have continued to explore the Law of Obligation, but I haven’t gotten the opportunity to use it in a selfless way yet. As Kurt W. Mortensen explains, “The Law of Obligation, also known as pregiving or reciprocity, states that, when others do something for us, we feel a strong need, or urge, to return the favor” (Mortensen 82). I have been using this law the same ways since my previous blog entry. That is, I still use it on my friends and family to gain something from them for my own personal benefit. I genuinely hope that I’m able to break that trend and work towards being more selfless through this law. I know this law can be applied in the ways in which I aspire to use it, so I will continue to put in the effort to explore different situations and test my ability to use this law for the benefit of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment